The farm to fork trend is everywhere and with summer grilling season approaching the Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. brand, funded by the Beef Checkoff, is sharing how raising sustainable beef and grilling up a juicy steak are closely connected. Celebrity Chef Lamar Moore and Rancher John Coleman Locke, owner of J.D. Hudgins Ranch, got together to talk more about sustainability and recipes.
As summer grilling season approaches, Moore has recipes and tips for helping everyone up their grilling game. He recommends his Strip Steak Au Poivre and Miso Butter Steak Frites for anyone looking to impress their guests.
“No matter what cut of steak you’re cooking, an instant read thermometer is key to ensuring a perfectly done steak,” said Moore. “You should also try not to flip your steaks as much, one flip should do the trick and will help keep the steak nice and juicy.”
For more beef recipes and to learn more about how farmers and ranchers across the country are raising sustainable beef, visit BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com.
Chef Lamar Moore’s recipe for
New York Strip Steak Au Poivre
N.Y. Strip Steak Au Poivre
- 2 16oz. NY Strip Steaks
- 1 T fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 T fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 oz. fresh garlic, sliced
- 10 oz. unsalted butter, cold
- ½ cup Bourbon
- ½ cup beef stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 T pink, green, and black peppercorns
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T granulated garlic
- 2 T chili powder
- 2 T dried thyme
- 2 T Kosher salt
- 2 T black pepper
- 2 T smoked paprika
- 2 T onion powder
For Steak Rub:
- Mix all spices together in a mixing bowl until combined.
For NYE Strip Steak Au Poivre:
- Season NY Strip Steaks generously with steak seasoning on both sides.
- Add grapeseed oil to cast iron pan or grill and bring to high heat. Add 4 oz. of butter to pan, add steaks to pan and sear on both sides until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Remove steaks from pan and let rest for 3 minutes.
- Sauté shallots and garlic in pan. Add Bourbon, beef stock, and reduce by half.
- Next add heavy cream, fresh herbs, peppercorns, and reduce by 1/3.
- Mount with remaining cold butter.
- Season to taste if need with salt and pepper.
- Slice steaks and spoon peppercorn sauce.
READ MORE: GINGER-CHILI AHI TUNA POKE SKEWERS