Perfect for an Easter brunch or breakfast, this show-stopping coffee cake recipe is deceptively easy to make because it uses Duncan Hines® Classic Yellow Cake Mix for the batter and Duncan Hines® Creamy Vanilla Frosting for the espresso drizzle. Topped with PEEPS® Brand The Original Donut Shop® Coffee Flavored Marshmallow Chicks, this adorable Easter treat will be loved by all!
Hands On:20 | Total: 85 | Makes: 10 servings (1 slice each)
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- PAM® Baking Spray
- 1 pkg (15.25 oz each) Duncan Hines® Classic Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 pkg (3.4 oz each) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3/4 cup Duncan Hines® Creamy Vanilla Frosting (about half a container)
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 10 PEEPS® The Original Donut Shop® Coffee Flavored Marshmallow Chicks
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
powdered sugar, optional
- Place 1/2 cup cold butter in a medium bowl and add flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Rub dry ingredients into butter with your fingers until it forms a crumble and no dry pockets of flour remain. Place in refrigerator to chill while you make the cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Liberally spray a 10-inch tube pan with PAM® Baking Spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, melted butter, sour cream, eggs, milk, and dry pudding mix together with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat additional 2 minutes on medium speed or until thoroughly mixed. Batter will be thick.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle half the chilled streusel over top. Spoon remaining batter over streusel and carefully spread evenly to cover. Return remaining streusel to refrigerator.
- Bake coffee cake on center rack of oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully sprinkle remaining streusel over top. Return to oven and bake another 12 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove coffee cake from oven and cool on wire rack for 15 minutes, then carefully remove cake from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave frosting 15 seconds. Dissolve instant espresso powder in hot water and stir into frosting. If necessary, microwave another 5 to 10 seconds until thin enough to pour.
- Place Easter breakfast coffee cake on serving plate and drizzle with espresso glaze. Decorate with PEEPS® The Original Donut Shop® Coffee Flavored Marshmallow Chicks and fresh raspberries. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Try this recipe for a PEEPS Lemon Bundt Cake!