Here’s a great recipe for one of our all-time favorite treats for Easter – Hot Cross Buns.
Hot cross buns recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup raisins
For the crosses:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4-5 tablespoons water
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, yeast, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, combine warm milk, melted butter, and egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let it rise for about 1 hour in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Punch down the dough and add raisins. Knead for a couple of minutes to distribute the raisins evenly.
- Divide the dough into 12-14 equal pieces and shape them into buns. Place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Mix flour and water to form a thick paste. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and pipe crosses on top of the buns.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Mix powdered sugar and milk to make the glaze. Brush the glaze over the buns while they are still warm.
Enjoy your hot cross buns!