Summer is here, which means we’re craving super-cooling snacks for outdoor and indoor adventures. For a summer packed with everything from July 4th BBQs to the international games, Real California Milk has curated a selection of one-of-a-kind seasonal frozen treats to upgrade snacks from ordinary to extraordinary. Have fun with the grandkids assembling this indulgent dessert!
Berry Tres Leches Cake Shake
– 1 large flour tortilla
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
– 1 cup vegetable oil
l– 12 to 16 blueberries
– 4 slices store bought yellow cake with white frosting or 4 yellow cake cupcakes with white frosting
– 6 strawberries, hulled and sliced in wedges
– 1 quart Real California vanilla ice cream
– 1/2 cup Real California whole milk
– 1/4 cup Real California sweetened condensed milk
– 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract – based on preference
– 1 cup Real California whipped cream
– Cookies, candies, sprinkles, sparkling sugar, and 2 maraschino cherries, for decorating
– 1-inch star-shaped cookie cutter
– 1 1/2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter
2 wooden skewers
- Use cookie cutters to cut four 1-inch stars and two 1 1/2-inch stars from tortilla. Carefully thread stars onto 2 skewers, leaving about 1 inch at the top. In a small bowl, combine sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Set skewers and sugar mixture aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add tortilla stars (skewers and all) and cook, in batches if necessary, until golden brown, 30 to 60 seconds per side. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle both sides of stars with cinnamon sugar mixture. Add blueberries to the skewers and set aside.
- Dice enough cake or cupcake to yield 1 cup. Arrange diced cake in serving glasses or jars and top with strawberries. Cut remaining cake or cupcake into 2 small wedges. Set serving glasses and cake wedges aside.
- In the jar of a blender, combine ice cream, milk, condensed milk, almond extract (to taste), and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Add milkshake mixture to prepared glasses. Top with whipped cream, cake wedges, cookies, candies, sprinkles, sparkling sugar, and maraschino cherries. Add skewers with tortilla stars and serve.
- Serves 2
For more indulgent and healthy snacking inspiration, visit realcaliforniamilk.com/recipes.
READ MORE: The Perfect Summertime Pie