National Smoothie Day is Tuesday, June 21, and Vitamix is celebrating with its first-ever Smoothie of the Year.
For the 2022 Smoothie of the Year, Vitamix culinary experts created an Almond Yogurt, Peach and Banana Smoothie, a blend that includes seasonal and easy-to-find fruit combined with nutrient-packed, flavor-forward ingredients like turmeric and ginger.
“Vitamix celebrates smoothies every day as a brand that’s led the industry in premium performance, durability and precision for 100 years. Launching our Smoothie of the Year is a fun way to capture what’s trending in this moment when it comes to whole-food eating, healthy recipes and exciting flavors,” said Steve Laserson, CEO of Vitamix.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup vanilla almond yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric, or 1 tsp. fresh turmeric
- 2 pieces fresh ginger root, 1/8″ slices
- 1 cup frozen peach slices
- 1 cup frozen banana, slices
- Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
- Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to its highest speed. Blend for 1 minute or until desired consistency is achieved, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
According to Mintel, since 2021, consumers are “looking for even more complexity, diversity, nutrition and functionality from ‘simple’ fruit smoothies.” Utilizing accessible fruit options in smoothies has become increasingly important in the face of supply chain issues and inflation. Smoothies also remain a fantastic way to eat whole, nutritious foods in one meal without going to a restaurant. That’s why Vitamix designed the Almond Yogurt, Peach and Banana Smoothie to hit all the marks:
- Peaches and bananas are both high in fiber and prebiotics, which boost digestion
- The blend offers 11 grams of protein, the top functional benefit consumers look for in smoothies
- Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant components, improving cardiovascular health and helping to reduce joint pain
- Ginger is excellent for digestion and also very high in antioxidants
“At a time when prices on everyday goods are rising, we chose a smoothie that showcases simple, tasty, whole-food ingredients that can be found at most grocery stores,” said Matt Dugan, executive chef at Vitamix. “We also loved that peaches are a seasonal ingredient available from local growers in many parts of the country. Shoppers can ask for ‘seconds’ to use slightly less perfect fruit that’s ideal for blending, is often priced lower and helps to fight food waste.”